The SIMI (The Society of the Irish Motor Industry) Autosure Professional Register has been developed to promote driver awareness as to the importance of regular vehicle maintenance and to highlight the benefits and peace of mind that comes from servicing your vehicle with an SIMI member garage.
These guidelines aim to promote awareness of the necessity to service your car. Your car is an asset. Servicing your car on a regular basis, can not only save you money by preventing the need for major repairs but when you do go to sell or trade in your car, its value will have been maintained. A regular maintenance routine will go a long way towards extending the life of your car and assure your vehicle’s roadworthiness for years to come.
SIMI APR has been developed to highlight the importance of regular vehicle maintenance and to promote the benefits and peace of mind that comes from servicing your vehicle with an SIMI member garage.
These benefits include:
• Providing reassurance to you as all members of SIMI are required to follow our code of ethics in their business practices and to maintain a high standard of customer service.
• It dispels the element of the unknown.
• It reduces your running costs and protects your investment.
• It will not only save you money by preventing the need for major repairs but it also adds value to the vehicle when you go to sell or trade in your car.
• Another important benefit is that only qualified people are authorised to carry out the work.
It takes an apprentice approx. 4 years to become a qualified mechanic. This would be subject to the apprentice successfully completing all 7 phases of their apprenticeship. A FETAC Level 6 Advanced Certificate is awarded on successful completion of an apprenticeship.
It is also worth noting that Ireland has participated in the World Skills Competition which takes place every 2 years. In recent years, Ireland has won 3 gold medals, 1 bronze medal and 1 medal of excellence in the Automobile Technology Section.
Participating garages will commit to the following:
• Only allow qualified staff to work on a vehicle.
• Keep all old parts that are replaced and educate the customer as to what work was completed.
• What is quoted is what is charged. There will be no increase from the quote unless additional work is identified and authorised by you.
• Log the service record on the National Service Database (with your permission).
• Each garage should be involved in promoting the scheme.
• Offer real value when it comes to trading in a vehicle that has a service history.
• Each garage should carry out a service to the standard recommended by the Manufacturer.
• Use only original parts or parts of matching quality.
Please click here to join the Autosure Professional Register.
Please click here for details of the SIMI Service & Repair Guidelines (PDF document).